Live from Stubb’s is an interview series created by the W2O Group to capture the thinking of the world’s best, brightest, boldest, most innovative and most fun people – with a strong dash of Austin thrown in for extra flavor. The interview series has featured business leaders from places like Verizon and Kaiser Permanente, Newsmakers like NBC, drivers of social good like the Livestrong Foundation, and even breaking bands like Lord Huron.
Today’s featured guest is John Battelle, founder of Federated Media, CEO of NewCo and author of upcoming title, If/Then. This is an interview that is worth the watch but just in case you are one of those “I’m too pressed for time” types, we’ve also included some of the highlights below:
What are we evolving into and what’s next?
- “Much of the world is turning into data and as a culture obsessing over how much we can do that.”
- “We are headed to understanding first principles of all of this:
- “Understanding of transparency, access rights to data – what should the compute platform for data be? Should it be in the cloud or in my person?”
- His hope/belief: “The permissions for the compute shift from the cloud to the person – This becomes a new version of the web where the web becomes us.”
- “We don’t spend much time thinking about how we actively dress, but we spend a lot of time doing it” – comparing getting dressed to dressing yourself in data
- It’s natural to dress yourself in data when it comes to social media
About his “If/Then” Book
- “If a billion people use the sets of technologies that I described in the book then what kind of a world do we live in? Technologies include autonomous vehicles, drones, cars, technology that allows you to project digital information on physical space, microfluidic chips to code DNA and manage as information, and sensor media which turns your body into data.”
- “Turn you into data or allow data to become physical” – What world are we making?
Where to find John online:
Twitter – @JohnBattelle
LinkedIn – www.linkedin.com/in/johnbattelle
Personal Blog – http://battellemedia.com/
NewCo Blog – http://blog.newco.co/